During the COVID-19 period, working from home has way more challenges than expected. After talking with some of my colleagues and ex-colleagues, I made a list of pain points that we have in common:
- Lack of communication and intimacy. A lot of info flows over the informal chats aside from work. Working away from office reduce the chance that we join together and talk.
- Incomplete sense of colleagues’ status. In office, people are aware of the flow of the physical space, yet in the digital world, there are no more than the green/red dots next to the profile picture or a line of text.
My colleague Ping Lu and I came up with Virtual Office Space idea which could mitigate this situation. It is a customizable office floor plan allowing team members to see who are available for a typical coffee chats during working at home.
- Competitor analysis
- Persona creation
- Wireframe and prototype
For the MVP version, there’re the core features:
- Draw the office space in grids
- Overview of all active colleague in the virtual space
- Add text labels anywhere on the canvas
- Video chat with colleague when approaching with each other